Monday, July 7, 2014

The Balancing Act of Summer

Throughout my whole life, I have judged the beginning of the end of my summer vacation by the 4th of July.  For the most part, it isn't even a midpoint.  I guess it is because there are no other holidays to look forward to or be distracted by.  So...the countdown has begun.  Five more glorious weeks before preplanning begins and six more weeks until I meet my new crop of kindergarteners.

At this point, I feel the need to take an inventory of my mental "To Do List" and well...I better get cracking.  The trouble is my original list has been expanded.  I should know better by now.  These lists are always wishful thinking.

Original To Do List
  • Read How to Create and Use Rubrics 
  • Reread Becoming a Reflective Teacher
  • Attend week long workshop in June
  • Attend a week long workshop in July
  • Buy WBT for Challenging Kids
  • Get Whole Brain Certification
  • Start a blog
  • Finish WBT book study
  • Start Teachers Pay Teachers Store
To Do List Additions
  • Read Daily 5 Second Edition
  • Add more items to TPT Store
  • Organize my Pinterest boards

Well, as you can see, I have accomplished a few things.  However, it's not near my expectations. In fact, some of these items have been on my list since last summer.   There is a delicate balance we teachers have in the summers.  It's our time to give our families the extra love and attention that has been snagged from them all year long.  However, in our heads is a running checklist of all the "things" we want to complete before the next school year.  I have five weeks left.  Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment